A highly experienced physician, Dr. Leonard Forrest was the first conservative spine care physician to join the Southeastern Spine Institute; teaming up with surgeons Dr. Donald R. Johnson, II and Dr. Steven Poletti in 1993.
Dr. Forrest received his undergraduate degree from LaSalle University, and his medical degree from Hahnemann School of Medicine (now Drexel University College of Medicine). He then completed his surgical internship at the Medical College of Wisconsin.
With a residency in Orthopedic Surgery at the Cleveland Clinic, and a residency in Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation at Thomas Jefferson University in Philadelphia – Dr. Forrest brings dual insight to his practice of spinal care.
Board Certification and Associations
Dr. Forrest has been board certified by the American Board of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation since 1989. He is an active member of the following organizations:
- American Academy of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- American Medical Association
- Charleston County Medical Society
- International Spinal Injection Society
- North American Spine Society
- South Carolina Spine Society
- Southern Medical Association
In addition, Dr. Forrest has staff privileges at East Cooper Regional Medical Center in Mt. Pleasant.
Dedicated to Spine Medicine and Rehabilitation
Not only is Dr. Forrest a spine physician at The Southeastern Spine Institute and East Cooper Regional Medical Center, but he has been appointed to prestigious posts at South Carolina organizations:
- Former Associate Professor at Medical University of South Carolina
- South Carolina Medical Disciplinary Commissioner
- Chairman of the Occupational Medicine Committee for the South Carolina Medical Association
- Past President of the South Carolina Spine Society
- Past President of the South Carolina Society of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation
Dr. Forrest co-authored a chapter on spinal cord injuries for the book, Rehabilitation Medicine, published in 1989. He is also a frequent speaker at local, regional and national conferences on the topics of spine care, workers compensation and disability issues.